I’m sorry if I come across as arrogant in saying that but I’m pretty confident that most of you reading this heard the same stuff as I did growing up. And our parents’ probably set the same examples. I’m not trying to paint a derogatory picture of your parents’ either – after all we all do the very best we can with what we have. Most often our parents’ just didn’t know any better. I’m going to go with the top 5 things I think most people heard growing up and completely blow them out of the water. You see, none of them are true. Your parents’ were not in anyway trying to stifle your growth, they were merely trying to protect you and keep you safe. But why choose safety anyway? What exactly is it in any case? In Network Marketing we don’t choose that path, do we? So here we go:
- I’m not made of money you know. What a croc! I bet you never went without anything that was truly important. Your parents’ found the money for things that you needed so to say that is just complete rubbish. We are all resourceful as human beings and will find the money for something that matters to us. Simple as that.
- Money doesn’t grow on trees. Oh really? Whoever said it did??? Again, just a ridiculous thing to say. I’m guessing you never said those words to your parents’ so what on earth made them say it?? Just one of those stupid sentences that gets passed down through the generations without giving a thought to it. So that can change with you now.
- You can’t do that! Who says?? Your parents’?? Whatever their limitations are does not equal yours. If they are not able to do something, doesn’t mean that others are not able to. We may share DNA, but we are all individuals with different goals and aspirations and different thoughts. And praise God for that! You control your own destiny – no-one else. Your parents’ included.
- Get good grades, get a good education, get a good job. This is the biggest croc of crap I have ever heard in my entire life. I don’t have enough space to write about how this is the biggest lie ever told on earth. Let’s just look at a few examples of those who didn’t get good grades, didn’t get an education and didn’t get a good job and did pretty well in changing the world. Steve Jobs. Bill Gates. Eddison. Einstein. Branson. Do I need continue?
- That’s a pyramid scam – you’re going to jail. I’m wagering that your parents’ told you that the day you announced you had started a Network Marketing business. And God bless ‘em – it’s only their ignorance that spouted those very words. They mean well, had the best of intentions, but had no idea at all what they were saying, what exactly a pyramid scam is and probably no real understanding of what is legal and what isn’t.
So there you have it. My top 5 of complete B.S. told to you growing up. And these statements may not have even come from your parents’ either. They may have come from teachers, friends’, other family members. It matters not. What you heard growing up has a massive impact on your self-esteem, your beliefs, values, morals and opinions of the world. Sometimes they are great advice. But more times than not, they are not. And it’s our job to just next them. They don’t work for you, so move them on back to whence they came from. You don’t have to believe what anyone says in fact. Meteorologists get the weather wrong sometimes. Politicians get it wrong pretty often, let’s face it. And how often does the news report on events that are just completely inaccurate? There’s rubbish all around us, but we get to control what goes in. Junk in, junk out. You get to decide.